Obesity & Pets Pt. 7 - Exercises for cats
With cats you must be more creative!
• Must understand feline behavior
• Excellent handling skills
• Most effective through play
• Must keep sessions shortp.2
Shearburn LD, Sundahl E and Westropp JL. 2013. AAFP and ISFM Feline Environmental Needs Guidelines Using play to provide exercise and mimic predatory behavior: Ellis SLH, Rodan I, Carney HC, Heath S, Rochlitz I, Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery 15: 219-230. Feline Obesity. 2011. www.vetlearn.com. VetStreet, Inc. pg 1-2.
Move a rod or wand with a fur or feather toy on the end in a way that mimics flying prey (swooping through the air) or ground prey (moving in straight lines swiftly away from the cat).p.3
Hands Free Play
•Avoid using hands and feet in any type of play to prevent injury to the cat or handler.p.4
Scratching on a post or padp.5
•Laser beam light being used in rehabilitation to increase hip extension ROMp.6
Cat Specific Exercises
• Proprioception Training
• Balance and Weight Shifting
• Land Treadmill
• Aquatic Therapyp.7
Range of Motion Passive ROM being performed to
the elbow joint to improve elbow flexion motionp.8
• A cat with limited hip extension performing a functional stretch using their body weight and a
tracking game. A toy is held in front of the cat and the harness is used to control their position.p.9
• Supported (assisted) standing over a Physio Roll to build endurance and muscle strength and to enhance balance and proprioception.
• Weak or neurological patientsp.10
•Balance board/platform being used to challenge balance, promote limb use, and also provide
• Dancing exercises used to promote rear limb use. This exercise can be performed forward or backward depending on the muscles or joints affectedp.14
• Designed to improve use of forelimbs
• Rear limbs are lifted off the ground and cat is moved forward
• Cats that have weak forelimbs may require support to keep them from collapsing.
• From textbook Essential Facts of Physical
Medicine, Rehabilitation and Sports
Medicine in Companion Animals, 2019.p.15
BOSU and Uneven Surfacep.16
Thank you VetScopep.17